Ok, so it's been a while but the reason for that is simply that I've been really busy.  

A couple of weeks ago we went to the border to get our passports stamped (again) for our permanent residency so yes, now we (3 of us anyway) are permanent residents of Canada.  Jenna is still on her working holiday visa and so needs to get the correct type of job before December so that she can stay here.

Speaking of jobs and Jenna, she has one!  She started work last week at Laura, a women's fashion store similar to Jacquie E in NZ.  It's high fashion and of course to work there she has to wear their clothes so it cost me $350 to outfit her for the first little bit.  She's only working a few hours a day at present and is on the evening shift, starting at around 5 or 6pm and working till 10pm.  Stores are open here 10am to 9pm everyday (except Sunday when they close at 6).  She's enjoying a lot and is looking forward to getting some more hours soon.

We have been house hunting.  Our lease runs out on September 30 and we did find a house to lease closer to the school but they want us to take possession on 1 September which would mean that we would need to pay twice for September.  Not really optimal.

In the meantime, we are also looking at properties to buy and found a fixer upper that we are considering putting in a ridiculously low offer.  Will keep you posted!

Well, we're half way through the summer holidays and Jesse is suffering from extreme boredom.  All his friends have gone away or are unrolled in day time summer camps so there's no-one to play with.  He told me the other day that he wants to go home to NZ because at there, there's someone to talk to.  I do feel for him, it's a long time to be on holiday.  They don't go back until the second week in September.  Tomorrow I am planning to take him to the beach at Brampton.  Not exactly a beach as we know it but you can swim there.  It's a man made lake called Professor Lake.  You have to pay to get in and there's a parking lot.  We went there the other day but the parking lot was full and it looked like it was going to rain so we didn't want to pay to get in only to have to leave.  I should point out that when it rains here, it's not just a little drizzle, it's a full on down pour.  It did rain and the boys ended up going to the pool later in the day when it stopped.

By the way, it's still way too hot.  Someone told me the other day that this was a particularly hot summer, not the usual and it's not normal to get this much humidity.  Thought that it was just me not being able to handle it.

Well, I think that's all the news for now.  Will keep you posted about the houses, etc.



Carol Karl

August 5, 2010