This is the one everyone's been waiting for ... Lemon Cupcakes with Chocolate Icing.
This is an all-in-one recipe which means everything goes in together at the same time - it's easy!
These cupcakes are fantastic the day you make them but as with most gluten free baking, they get stale quite quickly so I usually ice them and then put them directly into the freezer.
Take them out as you need them and microwave them for 15-20 seconds and they are beautiful.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
- 1 1/3 cups Gluten Free Flour Mix (see recipe)
- 1 1/3 teaspoons Guar Gum
- 1 1/3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- Zest and Juice of a Lemon (approx 1/4 cup juice)
- 1/3 cup Soy Milk
- 100gms softened Butter or dairy free spread
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius. Put the cupcake paper cases into a muffin tin.
- Put all the ingredients into a large bowl. Beat with a rotary beater until the batter is smooth.
- Spoon into the prepared tins, making sure not to overfill them. With the spoon, slightly smooth the tops (this makes the icing easier).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean. You may need to turn the tray around half way through the cooking time.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- 1 1/2 cups Icing (confectioners) Sugar
- 3 tablespoons good quality Cocoa
- 3 tablespoons softened Butter or dairy free spread
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Splash of Vanilla Essence
Combine all the ingredients with a fork until the mixture is smooth (I sometimes use the beater for this, depending on the amount of lumps I get). Pipe onto the cupcakes in a circular motion beginning at the outside of the case and working your way into the centre.
If you don't have an icing set, you can use a sandwich sized zip lock bag with the corner cut off.