This recipe is for the chocolate cake my mother made when I was a child. I have seen her make it in a roasting dish, quadrupling the recipe and it disappear in less time than it took to make. It's great because it's egg free and can be made dairy free as well. If you need it to be gluten free see the gluten free version.
I often make double the recipe, bake it in two tins and put (mock) cream and jam in the middle.
- 125 grams butter
- 1 small cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- Melt butter, sugar 1/2 cup of milk and golden syrup in a large saucepan, stirring often and being careful not to burn.
- Mix together the baking soda and remaining milk. Add this to the melted ingredients.
- Sift the flour and cocoa and add this to the melted ingredients and whisk well to ensure that all the ingredients are wet.
- I use a round 8 inch (20cm) tin which has been greased and the bottom lined with parchment baking paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and bake for 20-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.